CoEd Varsity Swim & Dive
December 12, 2017
MIXED RESULTS FOR SLHS SWIM & DIVE AGAINST CENTREVILLE
Reston, VA―The SLHS girls swim and dive team won a decisive victory over Centreville in their December 8 meet with sweeps of several events and a final score of 210-99. The SLHS boys had several standout individual performances, including a regionals-qualifying swim, but lost to Centreville 201-114.
The girls got off to an early lead with a 1-2 sweep of the 200yd medley relay and a 1-2-3-4 sweep of the 200yd freestyle. The 200yd medley relay team of Katie Nguyen, Claudia Reverte, Emily Fritz, and Megan Slater finished first with a time of 1:54.48 and Emi Redican, Diya Murthy, Allison Pritz, and Amelia Flavin finished second. In the 200yd freestyle, Julia Salassi came in first, with Katie Vintimilla second, Celia Duggan third, and Klara Goldman fourth.
Other highlights of the meet for the girls included:
- A 1-2 finish for Nguyen (first) and Slater (second) in the 50yd freestyle
- A first place finish for diver Emma Bulger
- A 1-2 finish for Reverte (first) and Slater (second) in the 100yd freestyle
- A 1-2 finish in the 500yd freestyle for Rachel Mietlicki (first) and Nadinka Taylor (second)
- A first place finish for Nguyen, Reverte, Fritz, and Slater in the 200yd freestyle relay
- A sweep of the 100yd backstroke for Nguyen (first), Redican (second), and Vintimilla (third)
- A sweep of the 400yd freestyle relay with Julianne Jaegle, Vintimilla, Amanda Crisp, and Salassi finishing first, Emma Grossback, Goldman, Yaoxia Guan, and Duggan coming in second, Madison Witt, Karina Silva, Meghan Benedetto, and Flavin taking third, and Alaina Cordts, Katie Falcone, Ciara Diederich, and Olivia Vedder coming in fourth.
Standout performances for the boys included a first place finish for Matthew Fritz in the 200yd individual medley, a regionals-qualifying swim of 22.34 in the 50yd freestyle for Solomon Blackmon, and a first place finish in diving for Evan Matthews.
The Seahawks return to the pool this Friday, December 15, to take on cross-town rival Herndon at the Herndon Community Center at 7:00pm.
December 3, 2017
South Lakes Swimmers Split Win with Langley
Reston, VA – South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams came out strong in their opening meet, qualifying a relay and several individuals for the regional and state meets as they faced Langley High School on Friday, December 1, at the Herndon Community Center. The girls team won with 161 points over Langley’s 151. The South Lakes boys lost with 134 points to Langley’s 181.
For the girls, the 200yd Medley Relay team of Anna Redican, Emily Fritz, Claudia Reverte, and Sophia Landeryou qualified for regionals with a time of 1:53.29. Redican also qualified with individual times in the 200yd Freestyle and 100yd Backstroke. Landeryou qualified in the 100yd Freestyle. For the boys, Ben Barbee made a regionals cut in the 500yd Freestyle, and Jack Edgemond qualified for the state meet in both the 200yd Individual Medley and the 500yd Freestyle.
Other highlights included:
• A sweep of the 50yd freestyle for Landeryou (first), Katie Nguyen (second) and Megan Slater (third).
• A sweep of girls diving for Devon Alessandrino (first), Aggie Alessandrino (second), and SJ Brown (third).
• A one-two finish for Edgemond (first) and Barbee (second) in the 500 yd Freestyle.
• A first place finish for the 400yd Freestyle Relay team of Edgemond, Matthew Fritz, Matthew Beach, and Hunter Ellis
• A first place finish for Emily Fritz in the 100yd Breaststroke.
• A first place finish for Solomon Blackmon in the 50yd Freestyle.
South Lakes will return to the pool at 8:30 on Friday, December 8 to take on Centreville High School at OakMarr RECenter.