Girls Varsity Basketball
Please use the code: J5GMJC and place your online orders before midnight on 12/20/18. All food items will be delivered to SLHS on 12/21/18! No lines! Thank you for your ongoing, positive support of our program!
Happy Holidays! Go Seahawks!!!
We will have several opportunities to prepare for the winter basketball season this fall! Join us along our journey, as we place supreme importance on progress over perfection. Our remaining conditioning days in September are as follows: Thursday, September 20th- 3:15pm (Track) Sunday, September, 23rd- 2:30pm (Fall League) (Robinson SS) Monday, September 24th- 3:15pm (Green Day; Gym;Basketball Gear) Tuesday, September 25th- 3:15pm (Track) Thursday, September 27th-3:15pm (Track) Sunday, September 30th- 9:00am (NVWBCA Showcase) If you have any questions, or would like more information regarding our program, please contact Coach Scott, firstname.lastname@example.org GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!
2018-2019 South Lakes Girls Basketball
- All players must turn in the following documents to the Activities Office prior to trying out.
- During tryouts all players must wear royal blue or black shorts and a white t-shirt with their last name written on the back.
- All players are guaranteed three days of tryouts. Our decisions will take place Wednesday November 7 following our tryout session. Each team will keep 11 to 15 players.
- If you are a Freshman, Junior or an athlete who must complete Concussion Baseline testing. You will be required to do this before your tryout on Monday November 5th, or Tuesday November 6th. By doing this you are not guaranteed to make a team. You will be informed by one of the coaches if you must complete this.
- All personnel decisions will be communicated to the student athletes, in an individual meeting with the coaching staff, at the end of our 3rd and final day of tryouts.
Tryout / Practice times
- Tryout dates for all levels: November 5-7th, 2018.
- Please plan on arriving at least 15 minutes before the start of each tryout session, so you are prepared to begin on time.
- Monday November 5th:5:30- 7:30pm
- Tuesday November 6th:5:30-7pm
- Wednesday November 7th:5:30-7:30pm
- Practice times will be announced and posted, after teams have been chosen. Howeverfirst week looks like this:
- Thursday November 9: All levels 5:30-7:30pm; F/JV 7:3pm
- Friday November 10: JV/Varsity 3:15-5 pm; Freshman 5-6:30 pm
- Saturday: All 9-11:30 am
What we look for in a student athlete:
- Coachable, team first, positive attitude and body language. (Be a great teammate!)
- Basketball Skill Set (ball handling, passing, rebounding, shooting, defense)
- Basketball IQ (team concepts offensively and defensively.)
- Athleticism (hustle for every available loose ball and rebound.)
- Academic Stability (must be academically eligible to participate.)
Being a member of the South Lakes Girls basketball program is a privilege, and should be considered as such. Once final personnel decisions are made, basketball is a six-day per week commitment. We will practice Monday-Saturday approximately two hours per day.
All three teams will be practicing over the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks. In addition, our Varsity team will be participating in a holiday tournament, beginning December 27th, and going through December 29th, at Westfield HS.
The game schedules, for all levels, has been posted on our sports website, http://www.southlakesathletics.org/. Practice schedules will be distributed once our teams are chosen.
You must be a student to be a student athlete! If you need to stay after school for extra help or to make up a quiz or a test you must bring a signed pass from your teacher with you to practice. Students should also utilize Seahawk Seminar time to get help and complete make up work to avoid missing practice time. While the VHSL requires you to pass 5 of your 7 classes to be eligible, our coaching staff may impose more strict consequences if necessary.
Athletes don’t use drugs or alcohol. This includes vaping/Juul. They will affect your individual play and have residual, long term effects on you, your family, school, and our program. The use of drugs or alcohol is strictly prohibited. Players found to be in violation of this rule will be suspended per the FCPS participation policy. The coaching staff may impose more strict consequences if necessary.
Spirit Pack / Team Shoes
Once our teams have been finalized, we will give our students their spirit pack information. Players/Families for all levels, are being asked to purchase their practice gear, (reversible jersey and shorts), Varsity: backpack, travel suit/hoodie, sweat pants, and varsity team shirt. F/JV: hoodie, sweat pants, one T-shirt, team shoes, and team duffel bag. You are free to buy additional items as well if you wish. You should expect this year’s basic spirit pack to cost approximately $145-175.00
This does not include the basketball shoes for our Varsity team. We ask that all levels of the program will wear Royal Blue basketball shoes.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Coach Scott, by calling the Activities Office: 703-715-4517.