Boys Varsity Basketball
Game Summaries & Headlines.
2018-2019 South Lakes Basketball
- All players must turn in the following documents to the Activities Office prior to trying out –
- During tryouts all players must wear royal blue or black shorts and a white t-shirt with their last name written on the back.
- All players are guaranteed three days of tryouts. The first round of decisions will take place Wednesday November 7. Each team will keep 12 to 15 players.
- If you are a Freshman, Junior or an athlete that must complete Concussion Baseline testing, you will be required to do this before your tryout on Monday November 5 or Tuesday November 6. By doing this you are not guaranteed to make a team. You will be informed by one of the coaches if you must complete this.
- Based on our Football team’s success this season, interested players may try out for a team once their season is complete. This must be communicated by the player to Coach Duggan no later than Monday October 29.
- All personnel decisions will be communicated to the players in an individual meeting with the coaching staff at the end of the 3rd practice.
Tryout / Practice times
- Try-out dates for all levels: November 5-7
- You should plan on arriving at least 15 minutes before the start of each practice, so you are ready to start on time.
- Players will tryout with their grade level unless they are told otherwise.
- Varsity (Grades 11, 12)
- Monday November 5: 3:15 – 5:30 pm
- Tuesday November 6: 3:15 – 5:30 pm
- Wednesday November 7: 3:30 – 5:30 pm
- JV/Freshmen (Grades 9, 10)
- Monday November 5: 7:30 – 9 pm
- Tuesday November 6: 7:30 – 9 pm
- Wednesday November 7: 7:30 – 9 pm
- Practice times will be announced and posted after teams have been chosen but the rest of the first week looks like this:
- Thursday November 9: Varsity 3:30-5:30 pm; F/JV 7:30-9 pm
- Friday November 10: JV/Varsity 3:15-5 pm; Freshman 5-6:30 pm
- Saturday: All 9-11:30 am
What we look for in a player
- Basketball ability (ball handling, passing, rebounding, shooting, defense)
- Basketball IQ
- Academic Ability
Being a member of the South Lakes basketball program is a privilege and should be considered as such. Once final personnel decisions are made, basketball is a six-day per week commitment. We will practice Monday-Saturday approximately two hours per day. We expect all players to be at every practice and every game, unless an emergency arises.
All three teams will be practicing over the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks. In addition, the varsity team will be playing in a holiday tournament beginning December 27.
The game schedule for all levels has been posted on the sports website, http://www.southlakesathletics.org/. Practice schedules will be distributed once teams are chosen.
You must be a student to be a student athlete! If you need to stay after school for extra help or to make up a quiz or a test you must bring a signed pass from your teacher with you to practice. Students should also utilize Seahawk Seminar time to get help and complete make up work to avoid missing practice time. While the VHSL requires you to pass 5 of your 7 classes to be eligible, the coaching staff may impose stricter consequences if necessary.
Athletes don’t use them. They will affect your individual play and have residual effects on you, your family, school, and the team. The use of drugs or alcohol is strictly prohibited. Players found to be in violation of this rule will be suspended per the FCPS participation policy. The coaching staff may impose stricter consequences if necessary.
Spirit Pack / Team Shoes
Once the teams have been finalized, we will give our players their spirit pack information. Players/Families are being asked to purchase their practice gear, the warm-up pants/hoodie, team polo shirt and a S/S and L/S sleeve t-shirt. You are free to buy additional items as well if you wish. You should expect this year’s basic spirit pack to cost approximately $145-175.
This does not include the basketball shoes. We ask that all levels of the program will wear Royal Blue basketball shoes. A flyer for team shoes will go out closer to the week of tryouts.
Varsity – Coach Duggan, firstname.lastname@example.org
JV – Coach Millar, email@example.com
Freshman – Coach Cincinnati, firstname.lastname@example.org